Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Dude, Where's My Emurse Resume?

So here was a slight shocker.

I was reviewing some of my old emails and found a few that had been generated by my resume on Emurse.

These weren't "Hey we really want to talk to you about a job" type emails. Rather they were of the "Hey, someone from Russia looked at your resume. Sorry, that's all we are gonna tell you. Bye" variety.

After the initial promise of putting resume-style profile on the web back in January of 2010 and having someone reputable view it, I had given up on the site after 4 months of no hits save the occasional "your site was visited by someone from Estonia" message.  I hadn't been back until today when I reviewed my email.



That's when I discovered that AOL had shuttered Emurse on July 15, 2012.

I wasn't bothered by the fact that AOL closed the site, although I do think it provided a digital resume alternative to the profile used on LinkedIn.

I am, however, bothered by the fact that my inbox is filled with messages like "Your resume was visited by someone from Moscow" but not one message from AOL/Emurse saying, "Hey, the site is going away. Better pack your digital bags" or "Hey, nice working with you. If you need alternatives, here are some other services you might consider".

Well, the past is prologue.  The site is gone and I won't get anymore notifications that someone had visited my page from some far-off exotic place.

There are some other options to posting your resume online including cvmaker and resunate. However, to get the most bang for your buck, I think Linkedin is still the 800 pound gorilla that is setting the pace in professional circles.

And they won't be going away anytime soon!

No comments: